Sunday, May 03, 2009

My Husband Went to a MLM Quixtar Meeting...

A friend mentioned yesterday that her husband had been to "one of those multi-level business MLM meetings." The company was Quixtar (which is Amway no matter how you slice it). She said "I told him no way! Those things are all scams."

So I piped up and gave her my opinion, which I had never actually spoken aloud to anyone until then. So I didn't really know just what I was about to say.

Based on my own personal experience, I told her how I really feel about network marketing these days. I told her that MLM isn't a scam, it's a legitimate business model, but it's not right for most people. Because most people burn through their warm market with the initial excitement, and then quit because most of their friends aren't interested in being entrepreneurs or sales people.

This means all the money spent up to that point is lost. Sure you get some good products, and might settle in as a customer (just what the company is hoping) but the income you were imagining never materializes. (I didn't bore her with the litany of companies I've been with, including Quixtar, and only spent money, never made much or nothing.)

I told her that though they make it sound easy at the meetings, it isn't easy in practice. I then told her that, based on his personality, her husband is probably among the small percentage of people who could do really well in MLM. Then I said that even so, I don't recommend it because to be one who is wildly successful, you often must bring in a lot of "sacrificial reps" along the way.

What do I mean by that? Well, I mean those charismatic, outgoing people who are able to persuade and charm people into joining, even though the likelihood of them succeeding too, is slim. And so you won't feel bad for them, you're taught by your upline that those who fail are just losers who won't "do what it takes" to make it and so deserve to fail.

I don't know if he will go ahead and take the plunge, either way is OK of course, but I felt compelled to tell my friend what I feel is the truth of MLM. Most people won't make the big money they entice you with at those meetings, and there's a lot more to it than meets the eye.

What do you think? I know there are some successful network marketers out there and maybe you're one of them. Or maybe you're new to all this. Either way, please leave a comment as this is an important topic. And keep it civil please.

Tracy

~~~
Digital Pens and Tablets

3 comments:

quixtarisacult said...

You make some valid points in describing how MLM churns through all the 'broke losers' who the company really hopes to turn into customers. I see your point on how charismatic people in the industry can attract those majority of people who are basically doomed to fail from the start. You raise a question of ethics in the industry where the majority of starry eyed joiners never produce one cent in profit after expenses are calculated and who generally quit after at least wasting some of their cash attending fruitless rallies, meetings, and buying over priced goods that could have more frugally been bought elsewhere.

Will Power said...

Well, I thought that this article was a bit of reality that's very good for anyone to have, before they go take their first step into a new business, but its also mixed with negativity that I don't think is health for anyone's ambitions. His own creativity and confidence can overcome the doubts and dissappoints that come with the rush, and carefully treating his business like a real business and not the overnight success that it's sold as, he might actually develop some prospecting techniques that he can share with his team in addition to the conference calls and what have you.

DJ Will Power

OverpowerRadio.com - Hot Beats and Ringtones

NewIncomeForLife.info - Residual Long Term Income

The Home Business Plan - Network Marketing Solutions for Home Based Businesses

Unknown said...

Many of them doesn't know that there is lucrative and independent way of earning money if they undergo mlm training then they can have an idea to make them financially satisfied.